Who Are We?
In May 2016, a group gathered to read Mitri Raheb’s book Faith in the Face of Empire, and from that has emerged Northland Peace Not Walls with members in the Duluth and Superior areas. The name “Peace Not Walls” echoes the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) campaign for justice in Israel/Palestine (see https://elca.org/peacenotwalls). Participants represent various church traditions and other organizations, all with the goal of raising awareness of the current situation for the Palestinian people in the Holy Land and advocating for a future that provides freedom, justice, and security for them as well as the Israelis.
Churches for Middle East Peace (CMEP) includes many denominations and organizations.
For More Information contact the Leadership Team:
- Jim Bailey
- Katheryn Hamm
- Gary Olson
- Karen Bockelman
- Stephanie Carlson
All interested in the work of Northland Peace Not Walls are invited to contact the leadership team and request to have your name added to the NPNW email list to receive information about our meetings and various updates.
- Several group participants have traveled to Israel/Palestine, a few as early as the 1960s and 1970s, and some multiple times.
- Three group members have lived a year in the Bethlehem area as Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM), a program of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- Several people from our area traveled to Israel/Palestine during the spring of 2023.
- Click here for a description of YAGM written by Kylie Cochran.
- Occasional alerts to contact the White House and Congressional representatives to advocate legislation or action needed.
- Information from various advocacy organizations such as Churches for Middle East Peace (CMEP) or US Campaign for Palestinian Rights is shared.